This post contains affiliate ads and/or links
Instagram is a dangerous place. You go on there and see some incredible ideas and makers and then they let you buy crap you see! For awhile I found myself lying awake at night wanting to buy all the signs. Yes I am a huge fan of all those farmhouse signs. I can’t tell you how I envied these really pretty basic designed print signs. But I have this problem. No matter how much I really love a piece of art I have this little voice in my head saying, “you could make that.” This happens to me at crafts stores, restaurants, and even clothing stores. Perhaps I have an ego crafter mentality but nothing is more satisfying than making a piece that is all your work.
For months I have had this idea in my head for a kitchen sign. It had to be unique something I hadn’t seen before, my own design. I had thought of a bunch of different ideas to make it come together but I hadn’t quite nailed down the process. Then the Stampin’ Up catalog came and I had an “ah-ha” moment! Of course they had the perfect lemon stamp set and letters to make my signage super easy and quick. AND lucky you I am sharing my easy way to make a Fresh Lemons Kitchen Sign using stamps to paint on canvas.
Stampin’ Up: Using Stamps to Paint a Sign
Many people see stamps and think great you can ink a few cards and scrapbook pages. But I have found so many crafting uses beyond paper crafting. In this tutorial I use the stamps to help create the design then I paint over it with acrylic paints. Finally I follow up with a stamp on top to really give it more depth. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on these stamp sets and they have not disappointed.
The Stampin’ Up “Lemon Zest” set seriously has some of the sweetest little lemon designs and sayings. I mean how can you not just swoon over, “When life gives you lemons…. chuck them right back!” It makes me giggle every time! You also receive a perfect lemon shape and a cut lemon so the sky is the limit here to create adorable citrus themed crafts. “Squeeze it for all it’s worth!”
Also, can I just say the letter stamps are perfect for creating those perfect farmhouse signs. You can definitely use these stamps over and over for loads of different projects. I took a text/lettering class in school where you just made different fonts and things by hand onto signs. Hand-printing takes forever and you need a ton of patients. With Stampin’ Up “Letters For You” you can have perfect text that give you the look of a hand-painted sign with very little effort. I will definitely be sharing more projects using this stamp set.
Step by Step
- Begin by finding the center of your canvas and drawing a soft pencil line from side to side.
- Using a protractor or round item trace a light pencil mark circle to create the outside script text.
- Starting from the center line place your first stamp letter. Then move out accordingly stamping out your lettering.
- Then stamp your lemons and leaves below.
- Add your script around the center in a circular design.
- Begin painting top to bottom with your acrylic paints.
- Let dry and then re stamp on top of your letters and lemon design.
- I finished mine by giving it a light dry brush of off white to create a vintage weathered look. (Optional)
- Enjoy your kitchen sign and make it your own!