Quick Asparagus & Meatball Sauté
Summer is busy y’all. We go nuts getting things done and enjoying all that gorgeous weather. I remember as a kid that Summer seemed to last forever. Now it is here and gone before I know it. So it’s so important to me to get the most out of it. SO I end up making a ton of simple fresh food and grilling a lot. But I also really enjoy the fruits of the season. By far my favorite season here in Idaho is asparagus season. It’s like a beacon of hope after a long winter. It means Summer is surely on its way.
Picking and foraging asparagus is an art form. It has to be carefully cut below the surface so it can regrow. Don’t be that person who messes this up for the locals… just saying. Anyway, it has to be harvested or it goes to seed. If you are like my Mom you have your patches along the ditch banks that you carefully cultivate and get a whole Summers worth of produce. As a child I remember the slow mornings and evenings spent walking up and down ditch banks and listening to the crickets and water tumbling along. Even still this relaxes me. Not to mention I salivate thinking of the sweet asparagus dinner I would get from my walk about.
Prepping & Cooking Asparagus
For me steamed asparagus fresh from the ditch bank with a little butter and salt and pepper is a meal in itself. I can be totally content with the simplicity and beauty of these green veggies. It’s something you don’t mess with or over power. You want the beautiful flavors in tact. I beg of you, DO NOT OVERCOOK your asparagus. Nothing is more disgusting than mushy asparagus. Such a shame as well. All asparagus needs is a quick steam, sauté, or grill. Literally 5 min tops. From rinsing to table.
For my recipe I added Summer squash and some of my meatballs I keep frozen in my freezer. You can use store bought or your favorite recipe. But I love to have these pre-prepped for busy nights/afternoons. Perhaps I will get around to posting about my recipe sometime. But for now here is my ultra-simple Asparagus & Meatball sauté. After all “Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication.” What are your favorite quick meals for Summertime?
- Frozen Homemade Meatballs (as many as you like)
- 1 Medium Summer Squash sliced
- 1 Lb of Asparagus foraged and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 2 Green Onions chopped
- 1 Tbs of Olive Oil
- 1 Cup of Chicken broth
- ½ Cup White Wine (optional)
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Tsp fresh Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottom sauté pan add your oil and heat over medium.
- Add your summer squash and brown up on both sides.
- Next add your garlic and green onions and quickly sauté.
- Add your asparagus and cooked meatballs. Stir for about 2 min.
- Then deglaze your pan with the wine and scrape all the browned bits from the bottom.
- Next add your broth, thyme, and salt & pepper.
- Reduce your liquid by half cooking on a low simmer.
- I like to serve this over white or wild rice.