Chocolate Chip Banana Cake has become a favorite around here in pretty short order. Try it yourself and see if you will love it too!
A few months ago, like before Thanksgiving and probably Halloween, I was trying to come up with a dessert for a group of people with only items I already had at home. I really didn’t want to drive the 30 minutes, each way, to the grocery store and to be quite honest, the people I was feeding seem to eat whatever I put in front of them, so they don’t have picky pallets. That seems rude to say, but honestly, it’s the truth. I super love them though, so I keep feeding them.
Since bananas are grown on this island, I always have some on hand. I’ve read that six different varieties are grown on Martinique. Before I moved here, I didn’t even know there were six different varieties. Imagine my surprise when I found out there are actual over 1000 varieties of bananas world wide. Who knew? Did you?
I made this Chocolate Chip Banana Cake and they loved it so much. I was kind of surprised by how much they raved about it. So, I made it again, for some other people, just to gage their reaction. They loved it too. Finally, I made it some lovely people at my church and somehow, people started asking me about the cake and if they could have the recipe. So weird, right? Even the Branch President of my church asked for it!
I don’t want to sound like I have a big head or anything, but I think this recipe is a keeper. If you like bananas, you should try it too.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 3 large very ripe bananas, smashed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar and eggs well.
- Add in the bananas and mix.
- Mix in the salt, baking soda and vanilla.
- Incorporate the flour and milk, a little at a time.
- Finally, add in the pecans and chocolate chips and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- When the cake is cool, in a large bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
- Add the powdered sugar in a little at a time and mix well.
- Spread on cake and serve.
- If the frosting seems too thin, add a little extra powdered sugar. If it seems too thick, add a little bit of milk.
I hope you love this chocolate chip banana cake as much as my friends did! Happy baking.