This month’s Foodie Extravaganza is all about Heart Healthy Fiber Rich Foods. While my Farmers Salad has a whole lot of the good stuff in it, there’s a little bit of ‘bad’ as well. However, as with all things, in moderation, it’s not a bad thing. Thanks to Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm for hosting this month.
This salad came about when I visited a local restaurant called The Crew in Fort de France. I’ve been there twice and loved my selection both times. I really need to write a review about them soon. Our luck with restaurants has been hit or miss. Nothing in between. Sometimes we make an expensive mistake. That’s always a bummer and why we alway have peanut butter in our house. Totally serious there.
This salad is packed full of heart healthy stuff and lots of fiber. I don’t eat a lot of salads because my body does not do well with them. However, every once in awhile, I just want one. This one will be on my list of salads to make. It isn’t exactly like The Crew salad, but it’s dang close.
- Salad Ingredients:
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, diced and cooked just until done
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce, washed, dried and torn into small pieces
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 5 pieces of bacon, trimmed of fat, cooked crisp and broken up
- 1½ cups cubed mozzarella cheese
- Dressing Ingredients:
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp dried basil
- In a small bowl or jar, mix the dressing ingredients.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- In a medium bowl, mix the salad ingredients.
- To serve, shake the dressing and pour over the salad.
- Refrigerate any uneaten portion.
What is your favorite heart healthy recipe? Check out the other submissions this month and then make yourself up a Farmers Salad.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you’re a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.
- 5-Way Cincinnati Chili Spaghetti Squash Boats from Palatable Pastime
- Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Bake from Cookaholic Wife
- Baked Oatmeal from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Black-eyed Pea Salad – Saladu Ñebbe from Food Lust People Love
- Cranberry Nut Muffins from Hardly A Goddess
- Easy Breakfast Oatmeal from Basic N Delicious
- Farmer’s Salad from Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- Fruity chewy granola bars from Caroline’s Cooking
- Fruity Custard from Sneha’s Recipe
- Heart Beet Smoothie from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Moroccan Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Vegetarian Spicy Asian Lettuce Wraps from cookinandcraftin