I really love fun desserts. Do you? This Coconut Vanilla Parfait is the perfect dessert for parties or just to control your serving size. The bonus is that it’s super good too.
In September it was my husband’s birthday and we had a very small party for him. I was trying to decide what dessert to make for him and came up with a few options, but ultimately decided to make something different and since it is stinkin’ hot in Martinique in September, something cool as well. Thus, the Coconut Vanilla Parfait was born. It did not disappoint either. Everyone loved it.
Before I tell you about the parfait, let me tell you about the shirt. My daughter made it and sent it to him. She has a vinyl business called The Crazy Creative Vinyl Lady and makes all sorts of things. He loves this shirt. It says, “If Only Sarcasm Burned Calories”. Funny, right?
I used clear disposable plastic cups for our serving dishes. They were what I had on hand and they provided easy clean up. The perfect combination. Plus, they are the perfect single serving size. They would make a great carry around with you dessert for a party.
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup corn starch
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cup coconut
- ½ cup toasted coconut
- 1 cup crushed vanilla wafer type cookies
- 6 whole vanilla wafer type cookies
- whipped cream
- In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar, corn starch, flour and salt.
- Stir in eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
- Gradually stir in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, with a whisk, until it boils.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Stir in the untoasted coconut.
- In individual serving dishes, layer the parfait, cookie crumbs, coconut mixture, toasted coconut and repeat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- To serve, garnish with whipped cream, toasted coconut and the whole cookies.
There it is. Super simple. The vanilla wafer cookies here are different than in the States, but they taste amazing. Shortbread cookies for the crumbs and garnish would work great too. What is your favorite simple dessert to serve at parties?