Triple Chocolate & Cream Trifle
It’s that time again, time for our Foodie Extravaganza event. I’m hosting this month and I’ve picked chocolate for our theme! My addition is Triple Chocolate & Cream Trifle and boy is it good. I made four servings and the couple we shared them with was trying to get the other one’s dessert the whole time. It was a hit.
This post contains affiliate links
You probably know already that I love most things that involve chocolate. Well, this one is so good that if I didn’t like chocolate already, it would have pushed me over the edge. Something that makes this super special is the raw cocoa stick I got when we went to Saint Lucia. I grated some of this between the layers and on top with my Microplane Grater (similar to this one) and it adds a little extra something.
If you can’t find the raw cocao in your local heath food or regular store, get some raw cocoa powder or cocoa nibs. If you can find it though, it’s totally worth it. Plus, it’s pretty. Don’t let the length of the recipe scare you. It’s super easy.
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate
- For assembly:
- ½ pint whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Raw cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For the brownie:
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add in cocoa, flour, eggs, salt and pecans. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased square pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack and then cut into small pieces about 1 inch squares.
- For the pudding:
- In a medium bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg and 1 cup milk.
- Heat 1 cup of milk in a medium pan over medium heat, just to a boil.
- Whisk milk into the sugar mixture.
- Return it to the pan and simmer on medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy. About 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the vanilla and butter.
- When the butter is melted, stir in the chocolate and mix until melted.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To assemble:
- Whip the whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff.
- In either a large trifle bowl or separate dishes, layer brownies, pudding and cocoa powder, at least two times.
- Top with whipping cream.
- Garnish with cocoa powder and a tiny brownie.
Now, keep scrolling for more amazing chocolate recipes.
Foodie Extravaganza is a monthly food fest, where a group of bloggers all create and share a recipe around one of the monthly food ‘holidays’ as detailed in The Nibble. This month Kathleen from Fearlessly Creative Mammas is hosting and since chocolate day is October 28th, Chocolate is our theme. There are actually two other days that incorporate chocolate in October, the 14th is Chocolate Covered Insect Day and the 18th is Chocolate Cupcake day. We didn’t want to get to specific though, so we will just say chocolate.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you’re a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.
Now, check out these great chocolate submissions!
- Holy Mole Pork Stew from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Triple Chocolate and Cream Trifle from Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- 2 Kiss Cupcakes from Sneha’s Recipe
- Chocolate Lovers Dream Cake from Cookin and Craftin
- Kahlua Chocolate Cake from Making Miracles
- Queen Anne Squares from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Hot Fudge Cheesecake Brownies from Cookaholic Wife
- Nutty Chocolate Fudge from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Blintzes from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Chicken Mole from Caroline’s Cooking
- Simple Chocolate Cake from Passion Kneaded
- Chocolate Rugelach from Hardly a Goddess
- Crispy Chocolate Surprise Balls from G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Marshmallow Turtle Bars from Food Lust People Love
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins from Not Too Shabby Gabby