I have a really funny story for you. At least it’s funny to me. Have you ever not eaten something just because of the name of the thing? You wouldn’t try it at all. Nope. Not happening. Well, that was me with coffee cake until I was probably 25 years old. Seriously. The problem was completely the name. Coffee Cake. I just couldn’t or wouldn’t do it. Totally psychological. Then, one day someone gave me this really amazing Coffee Cake, but just called it cake. Cake, who doesn’t like that? Well, my husband, but that’s a totally different set of psychological issues. When I found out it was coffee cake, I was shocked! It didn’t taste like coffee at all. Plus, I had it with a nice cup of tea and it just went together. Today I have a really, really amazing recipe to share with you. I’m calling it Blueberry Vanilla Coffee Cake and every person who has tried it as loved it. I really love having honest taste testers.
Right now you might be wondering why I had such a negative response to trying coffee cake. Well, here it is. I really, really hate the smell of coffee. I think it started when I was a teenager and I made my mom her coffee every day. It was instant coffee, I think so I didn’t burn myself, and it really stunk. At least to me. She drank it, so it must have been okay to her.
I have never actually tasted a cup of coffee, but I have had a piece of coffee flavored candy in my mouth, for about 2 seconds, and I’ve had tiramisu, which has the cake soaked in espresso and I hated that too. So, you see my issue with the coffee cake. I thought it had coffee in it, not that you ate it with coffee. I wasn’t taking any chances. I’m super happy that my friend didn’t tell me that cake she gave me was coffee cake.
- 1 Tbsp flour
- ½ Tbsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup Greek vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Mix the topping ingredients and set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar to mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating to mix between each addition.
- Add vanilla, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add yogurt and cream cheese and mixing well.
- Add flour, one cup at a time and mix well.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in blueberries, just until incorporated.
- Spread cake mix into a well greased or foil covered 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Spread topping over the cake to cover.
- Bake about 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes.
Today is Foodie Extravaganza day and the theme is Coffee Cake. Could you tell that from the recipe? This month’s party is hosted by Caroline from Caroline’s Cooking. She has some beautiful recipes. Be sure to visit her. Now, keep scrolling and visit some of the other yummy coffee cake recipes being shared.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you’re a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.
What is Foodie Extravaganza? It’s when a group of bloggers get together and make a recipe using one main ingredient. Where do we get the ingredient? We look at The Nibble and pick something off of their list. Croissants are actually celebrated on January 30th, but it’s in January, so it’s fair game. You can check out our group Pinterest board for past recipes. If you’re a blogger, you can join along with us by requesting to join on our Facebook page. Now, on to the goodness being shared this month:
- Almond Raspberry Cake by Food Lust People Love
- Blueberry vanilla coffee cake by Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- Cappuccino Cake by G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Caramel Coconut Coffee Cake by cookinandcraftin
- Classic Coffee Cake by Basic N Delicious
- Coffee Cake Cookies by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Coffee Cake in a Jiffy by Our Good Life
- Coffee Cake Muffins by I’m Hungry
- German Beer Coffee Cake by Wholistic Woman
- Gluten free hazelnut pear cake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Kärleksmums (Swedish Coffee Cake) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Lemon Thyme n Mint Loaf by Baking in Pyjamas
- Orange Coffee Cake with Pecan Streuse by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Polish Placek by Cooking With Carlee
- Simple Coffee Cake by Sneha’s Recipe
- Strawberry Coffee Cake Muffins by Making Miracles