This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc, and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CarnationSweepstakes #BetterBreakfast #CollectiveBias
Mornings can be really tough on a family. Especially in the winter. Who wants to get out of their warm bed. I know it’s hard for me sometimes. Actually, the colder it is, the harder it is. When you have kids, you not only have to worry about getting yourself moving, but getting them up and ready for the day too. A nutritious breakfast is key to a good day, but with all the running around, sometimes we forget about nutrition in favor of something quick. The other day I decided I wanted to make something that we could easily grab in the mornings and that would keep us going. I came up with these Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins and they are really tasty. The strawberries provide just the right touch to them.
When I was at Sam’s Club doing a little shopping, I picked up a value size box of Carnation Breakfast Essentials® and thought that adding a few packets to the muffins would give them even more goodness to keep us going. If you happen to be looking for them, they are in the breakfast aisle, actually sitting on a pallet on the floor of my Sam’s Club. It took a second for me to find them.
I’d love to tell you a little of my history with Carnation Breakfast Essentials® because it is a long one. When I was in high school, a hundred million years ago, I got really sick. I went to the doctor for what was thought to be severe growing pains, but it turned out that my body was attacking itself on the inside, causing horrible pain in my joints. It wasn’t growing pains for sure because I haven’t grown since I was about 14. The doctor put me on an antibiotic to see if it would fight whatever was going on in my body. I ended up being on this antibiotic for almost 2 years, until after they finally decided to take my tonsils out. Funny how that worked out.
The thing with being on an antibiotic for that long is that it made it really hard to eat breakfast before school every day. Anything I ate before about noon made me so sick. My mom decided to try what I think was then called Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink®, which was mostly the same as the current Carnation Breakfast Essentials®. Wouldn’t you know it, I was able to drink that without it making me sick. I had that for breakfast every single day for the time I was taking that antibiotic. It tasted good too. An added bonus was that it kept me alert in school and I was able to concentrate and learn some things. I will forever be grateful to Carnation for this product. Seriously.
It is always in my pantry even now because some mornings, I still have issues. I also gave it to my kids when they didn’t have time to eat in the mornings. My oldest daughter had to catch the bus at 6:30 every morning for high school. Who wants to eat then?
We only have one child living at home now, but sometimes she works early in the morning and like me, getting out of bed in the morning is hard on her. I really think she stays up too late and that’s why she has a hard time. She has to have something to keep her going at work because she works in a restaurant on her feet all day. She doesn’t give herself enough time to get ready, so she is usually eating as she runs out the door. These Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins are the perfect breakfast for her because they are nutritious and portable, a great combination for her.
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup non-fat milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups plain old fashioned oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 servings of Carnation Breakfast Essentials® Rich Milk Chocolate flavor
- 1½ cup chopped fresh strawberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Grease or line muffin pans.
- In a large mixing bowl or mixer, mix the brown sugar and eggs until mixed well.
- Add in the applesauce, milk, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla and salt and mix well.
- Add the oats and mix.
- Add flour and Carnation and mix well.
- Gently fold in the strawberries and pecan and mix just until incorporated.
- Divide into 24 well greased or lined muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes and then gently remove them from pan.
Carnation Breakfast Essentials® has a great sweepstakes and challenge for us during the month of February. There are some great prizes too. The challenge is to have a healthier breakfast with your family for 7 days! That’s not only good for you all, but easy too. How will you do it? Try just waking up 15 minutes earlier and doing what you can to pre-prep your breakfast and set the table the night before. It’s a great way to start your day.
- Ready to get started? Follow these easy steps:
- 1. Sign up at CarnationBreakfastChallenge.com.
- 2. Complete a simple yet fun breakfast mission for a chance to win. New prizes will be revealed every day!
- 3. Come back any day in February to complete missions and see new prizes. The prizes range from a Fitbit to a GoPro and other awesome stuff!
- 4. Head to your favorite store to purchase a Carnation Breakfast Essentials® Nutritional Product and upload your receipt for five extra entries per day.
Check out Carnation Breakfast Essentials® Facebook page for more nutritious ideas.