It’s Foodie Extravaganza Day! Whoo Hoo! I love it when the first Wednesday of the month rolls around. There are so many great things to try out. Be sure to read through my recipe to the links for lot’s of other yummy picks. This month’s theme is the Croissant and since we all know I can’t bake bread to save my life, I cheated a little and went with the crescent roll. I made this Beefy Green Chile Braid and wow, it is good. I had to put it away so I would stop eating it. My daughter ate a bunch of it too. You should try it out for yourself.
The first thing you do is chop up all of the veggies, except the avocado. Save that for later so it doesn’t turn brown. No one wants a brown avocado. Then you cook up your ground beef and onion, until the ground beef is cooked through and the onion is tender. Then add in the other veggies. Cook for about 10 minutes. I have to insert here that you need to use low fat ground beef. I use Zaycon’s ground beef. It’s really great and it costs less than at the grocery store. (That is a referral link.) Also, I use Hatch Green Chile when I cook with green chile. It is really nice and flavorful. Plus, I get it when it’s fresh and freeze it. Yum Yum!
Next, you roll out your crescent roll dough.
Spoon the mix down the middle of the dough, leaving about 2 inches on each end with no dough. Top with the cheese.
Cut diagonal lines in the dough, switching directions in the middle of the dough.
Starting at one end, cover the mixture with the end of the dough and then braid the cuts of dough, alternating sides.
When you get to the middle, start at the other end.
Bake the braid until golden brown.
Sprinkle cheese on the braid. To me, the more the better.
Return to the oven to melt. Add avocado to the top before serving.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 Roma Tomato, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped green chile
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chile powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 package of crescent roll dough
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Cook the ground beef and onion until the beef is cooked through and the onion is tender.
- Add in the other chopped veggies and cook about 10 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
- Roll out your crescent roll dough.
- Spoon the mix down the middle of the dough, leaving about 2 inches on each end with no dough.
- Cover with ¾ cup of each cheese.
- Cut diagonal lines in the dough, switching directions in the middle of the dough.
- Starting at one end, cover the mixture with the end of the dough and then braid the cuts of dough, alternating sides.
- When you get to the middle, start at the other end.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the dough is golden in color.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Return the braid to the oven and melt the cheese.
- Remove from the oven and top with avocado.
- Slice to serve.
This really is a great recipe. I love it when I come up with something that everyone will eat. I will be making this again and again. Now, don’t forget to check out all of the other yummy recipes. You don’t want to miss the goodness.
It’s Foodie Extravaganza Day and this month’s theme is Croissants, although some will be using the Crescent Roll. This month’s host is ME! What is Food Extravaganza? It’s when a group of bloggers get together and make a recipe using one main ingredient. Where do we get the ingredient? We look at The Nibble and pick something off of their list. Croissants are actually celebrated on January 30th, but it’s in January, so it’s fair game. You can check out our group Pinterest board for past recipes. If you’re a blogger, you can join along with us by requesting to join on our Facebook page. Now, on to the goodness.
Beefy Green Chile Braid by Fearlessly Creative Mammas
Pain Au Jambon by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Pain Au Chocolat by Making Miracles
Sausage, Egg and Cheese Croissant with Maple Dijon Sauce by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Cinnamon and Apple Croissant Bread Pudding by The Freshman Cook
Chocolate Croissants by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Croque Monsieur Croissants by Caroline’s Cooking
Almond Croissant French Toast by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Bacon Fig Dippers for Melty Cheese by Cooking with Carlee
Triple Meat Croissants Breakfast Casserole by Cookin’ and Craftin’
Coronation Chicken Horns by Food Lust People Love
Breakfast Croissant Ring by Our Good Life
Baked Cinnamon Raisin Croissant French Toast from From Gate to Plate