Last night I had dinner at my mom’s house. She fixed one of my favorite things, slow cooker Baked Steak and Gravy. It is a recipe she learned from her mom and it is so good I thought I would share it with you.
I never knew my Grandmother. She died when my mother was 16. Her name was Pattie Jane and she was from Charleston WVa. I grew up hearing stories about her and wishing she would have lived to be a part of my life. Every time I eat this meal, I think of her. She must have been a great cook because she taught my mom and I love my mom’s cooking!
My family is difficult to feed. I have two extremely picky eaters, three people who are terrified of vegetables and two kids with Celiac Disease. One of the members of my family is the trifecta. He is extremely picky, doesn’t eat vegetables and has Celiac disease! It is an exercise in patience feeding these people! This recipe is one of the very few things everyone in my family will eat. It can be modified to be gluten free which is how we eat it.
- 3 lbs. top round steak
- 2 packages dry onion soup mix (If you are making this Gluten Free use GF dry onion soup mix)
- about 2 cups flour (Rice flour or other GF flour mix if making GF)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion
- Trim fat off meat, cut into serving size pieces and rinse off with water.
- Put flour and salt and pepper to taste in gallon size zip lock bag. place 2-3 pieces of meat at a time in bag, lay flat and cover with a towel. Beat flour into both sides of meat with a meat tenderizing mallet. Put floured meat in slow cooker.
- Mix the two packages of onion soup mix with 4 cups of hot water. Pour over the meat.
- Slice onion and put it in slow cooker.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours. The mixture will make its own gravy while cooking.
I hope you will try this recipe and it will become one of your family favorites. It can be served with mashed potatoes or rice. As with a lot of country cooking, sometimes it tastes way better than it looks. That is the case with this. It it is super yummy and you won’t be disappointed!