Welcome to April’s Foodie Extravaganza!! I’m super excited about our theme this month, Grilled Cheese. I really love a good grilled cheese sandwich, so this one was so fun for me. I decided to give my submission a little twist and oh man, it is so good. Seriously. You don’t have to trust me though. You can just try it out for yourself!
Be sure to read all the way to the bottom and check out all of the other great Grilled Cheese recipes.
The first thing you want to do is lightly grill your bread, on the stove, in a pan, with butter on both sides. I used wheat bread and this is what my bread looked like after it was grilled.
Then you just build your sandwich, following the instructions below. I really love to have tomato soup with my grilled cheese. How about you? I think that is an American tradition for sure. When we lived in China, we made friends with some local Chinese folks, Eric and Echo. I was in a store one day and saw a can of Campbell’s Tomato Soup and I got really excited about it. Echo was with me and I’m pretty sure she thought I was nuts.
I told her we hadn’t had Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup since we got to China and I was so excited for this particular find. She didn’t get it. I decided to invite them over for Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup and they LOVED it! Really. I had to get a picture of them eating it. Now they have it all the time.
My version today is a little different than the one I had in China, but oh it’s good. If you have 10 minutes, make yourself one today.
- 1 slice of bread
- 2 tsp butter, softened
- 2 pieces of cheese, I used Mozzarella/Cheddar
- 2 pieces of smoked ham
- 3 tomato slices
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Oregano
- Turn oven on to broil
- Butter both sides of your bread.
- Grill on a pan until both sides are lightly brown.
- Place bread on foil or baking sheet.
- Sprinkle garlic powder and ground oregano over bread to lightly cover.
- Stack ham, tomato and then cheese.
- Place pan in oven and broil until the cheese melts. Watch it carefully.
- Remove from oven and eat it up!
- Bacon Apple Mascarpone Grilled Cheese from Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Caramelized Onion Bacon Grilled Cheese from Rebekah at Making Miracles
- Chicken Bacon and Avocado Grilled Cheese from Jacklyn at Mrs. Penguin
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Grilled Cheese from Marissa at Rae Gun Ramblings
- Crusty Griddle Baked Quesadillas with Poblano Rajas from Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- French Toast Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Berry Compote from Joy at The Joyful Foodie
- Grilled Cheese in the Garden from Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Spinach from Tara at Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Ham, Apple and Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese from Carlee at Cooking With Carlee
- Mac and Cheese Grilled Cheese from Lauren at From Gate to Plate
- Muffuletta Grilled Cheese from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Open Faced Italian Grilled Cheese from Kathleen at Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- Southern Grilled Cheese from Teri at The Freshman Cook
- Spicy Pear Grilled Cheese from Kelly at Passion Kneaded
Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays or cook and bake together with the same ingredient or theme each month. This month we celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month by serving up sandwiches.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday. If you are a blogger and would like to participate in the next Foodie Extravaganza, just go to our Facebook page to join. We would love to have you!