The ingredients are all pretty basic and don’t cost a lot, so that is an added plus. Also, my husband follows a lactose free diet, so we used lactose free milk. The recipe works when made this way too.
The first thing you do is hard boil eggs, 2 per person. A little tip here is to add baking soda to the water before it boils and it will make your eggs easier and cleaner to peel.
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 pieces of bread per person
- 2 tsp butter per person to spread on bread
- 2 eggs per person
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- salt and pepper to taste
- Hard boil the eggs, adding the baking soda. Cool the eggs some so you don't burn your hands.
- Separate the yolks and whites. Chop the whites fine and in a bowl, crush the yolks to a powder.
- Butter the pieces of bread on each side and grill them until they are light brown.
- Cut the bread into ½ inch square pieces.
- Make the White Sauce: Melt the butter and then add the flour and stir until smooth. Be sure not to let the flour burn. Add the milk a little at a time and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Add the egg whites to the sauce.
- Assemble the Golden Rod: Put the bread in the middle of a plate. Cover the bread with the White Sauce and sprinkle the yolks on the White Sauce.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Is there something that you really hate, unless it is made a certain way?