A couple of months ago I decided to “make over” our spare bedroom into something a little less frilly. I have a daughter who is very interested in fashion, so I let her be my inspiration. I started with the side tables and they now look nothing like the tables in the second picture below.
When I took the table clothes off of the tables, I started with bare, round tables. You can purchase these tables on Walmart.com for $8.96 each.
The first thing I did was wiped the tables down and then put them on plastic trash bags, to protect the floor.
Next, I painted the table tops with metallic silver paint, using a sponge brush.
The table really sucks up the paint, so I covered each table three times.
While the paint was drying, I looked through many magazines and cut out pictures that related to fashion. Quite frankly, this was my least favorite part. I picked different kinds of clothes, shoes, accessories, makeup and a few celebrities that she likes. Thankfully the celebrities she likes aren’t trash, so that was a great thing!
After the paint was dry, I used Mod Podge to make the pictures stick on the tables. Because it dries rather quickly and I wanted to make sure there wasn’t any bubbles in the pictures, I just put a little Mod Podge on the table at a time and then laid out the pictures and made sure they were flat. Then I softly put a layer of Mod Podge over the top of all of the pictures and let it dry. I put four layers of Mod Podge on each table. Finally, I put three layers of varnish on each table and allowed them to completely dry between each coat. This whole process took several days because I wanted to ensure they were totally dried.
For the fabric to cover the legs of the tables and a place to hide stuff once you are using the tables, I selected red fabric. I measured the diameter around the table and then added another half of the diameter. In other words, if the table is 20 inches around, I would cut it to 30 inches. If you want it more full than that, cut it longer. Then I measured the length of the table from the top to the floor and added 2 inches for a hem and to staple to the top of the fabric to the table. Next, I put a basting stitch across the fabric and gathered it so the top was the same diameter as the table. Finally, I stapled the fabric to the underside of the table so the bottom of the fabric just touched the floor.
This is the finished product of my rather long process. My daughter loved the tables and I believe she has placed a dibs on them when she has her own place.
If you want to try these tables and have any questions, I’m happy to answer them!! Just post a comment below.
Posted by Kathleen
(Visited 71 times, 1 visits today)